Trainings for Teachers
Please feel free to contact either myself or the host venue for further information.
How to Book
Booking is essential for all trainings. Please refer to the individual event for booking details.
Upcoming Teacher Trainings
The Use of Therapeutic Yoga in Cancer Care – A Day of Enquiry and Learning
In the UK alone, over 2.5 million people are living with cancer with this figure predicted to rise to 4 million by 2030. Multiple studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of yoga therapy in managing the effects of cancer and cancer treatments. Yoga therapy has the potential to decrease fatigue and pain, help reduce anxiety, depression and insomnia, support immunity, build bone strength and improve quality of life for the person with cancer.
Interest in the use of yoga therapy interventions is increasing among health professionals. As survival rates for many cancers are rising, people affected by cancer are seeking alternative ways to empower and care for themselves during treatments and their onward journey.
To offer safe and useful yoga to a person with cancer, teachers and therapists need to be creative, well informed and compassionate, in order to support clients holistically and safely at all stages of cancer.
This day will suit:
Yoga teachers or therapists with a genuine interest in working with people with cancer.
The day will be a mixture of lecture, community sharing, practice and reflection.
This day will offer an initial insight and overview of the tools you will need to develop when working within the complex field of cancer, whether in a class or with individuals, privately, or in care settings.
We will look at the following:
- What cancer is, including incidence, prevalence, common causes and terminology
- Key treatments available and their common side effects
- How yoga can positively impact the immune system
- How yoga can support cancer related fatigue, nausea, lymphoedema and osteoporosis
- A framework for considering the complexities of cancer and how these affect a person’s whole being
- Some of the key risks associated with teaching yoga and pranayama to a person with cancer
- The development of critical thinking when planning modifications in yoga for cancer
- How the therapist might support students in their onward journey after cancer
- Consideration of the ethics and challenges for teachers and therapists working in this area
- Useful resources to support your work
A further in depth 5-day CPD will be offered over 2 weekends, 24th – 26th September and 9th – 10th October 2021.
When: Saturday 13th March 2021 – 9.30 – 17.30. (The session will be repeated on Saturday 17 July 2021)