I am a yoga therapist having completed my in depth training with The Minded Institute . I am a member of the Minded team both lecturing and supervising new students.
I am able to work with individuals in my home yoga room in Grantham, at The Jasmine Trust Yoga Centre in Retford, or possibly at your home.
What is Yoga Therapy?
Essentially, yoga therapy is the application of specific yoga practices to alleviate physical and mental health conditions with the aim of promoting self-care and supporting overall well-being. Work is informed by:
- Anatomical, physiological and neuroscientific knowledge
- Psychotherapeutic principles
- Yoga philosophy
How Yoga Therapy Differs from Yoga
- Yoga in general aims to cultivate harmony of the body and mind and hence has the potential for therapeutic effects
- Yoga therapy uses specific yoga practices and their known benefits to help alleviate or improve mental and physical ailments and broaden the clients understanding of the situation
- Yoga therapy is becoming increasingly popular with many doctors and mental health practitioners now supporting it as an intervention as the growing body of research highlighting yoga’s multi-tiered benefits.
How is Yoga Therapy Used?
Yoga therapy aligns the unique and precise health needs of the client with yoga practices which the yoga tradition and also medical science find to have particular curative effects. The yoga therapist is able to work in a precise and ‘in the moment’ way with each individual client, offering personalised interventions.
Example 1 – with lower back pain, there are very specific yoga positions and postures which can strengthen and support the back and help soothe and address the symptoms of a herniated disc.
Example 2 – with cancer – individualised practices can be gentle to alleviate side effects of treatment, promote relaxation, improve sleep and support pain relief … or strengthening if appropriate post cancer and pre or post-surgery
Example 3 – in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), there are gentle, specialised ways of regulating the nervous system and fostering the return of an awareness of the body.
What will a yoga therapy session with me include?
- 60 – 90 minute one to one work – in person or online via Zoom
- Initial information gathering and assessment of your individual needs – possibly breathing, range of motion and postural assessments
Any of the following:
- Breathing techniques
- Postures – yoga/somatics/ movement enquiry
- Meditation /mindfulness
- Relaxation techniques/ Yoga Nidra
- Lifestyle discussion
- Education and information sharing
These are just some of the conditions for which i can offer Yoga Therapy :
- Cancer – side effects management, pre or post-surgery support
- Back Pain and musculoskeletal problems
- High Blood Pressure
- Asthma and COPD
- IBS and digestive issues
Yoga Therapy Sessions
Yoga for People Living with or Recovering from Cancer
I am a Minded Yoga Therapist with a special interest in working with people living with cancer. I use individually modified, gentle and strengthening yoga, breathwork, mindfulness, relaxation and yoga nidra as appropriate to support ease in both the physical and emotional body during the journey through treatment and recovery.
I work with the Aurora Wellbeing Centre with individual clients and contributing to their Prostate Cancer and Time to Grow post-breast cancer programmes.
I also offer one to one private consultations to provide individual support through yoga and yoga therapy. Please contact me for details.
Yoga for Stressed People
I am especially interested in ways in which we can use yoga to help restore and replenish ourselves . Many of us are so busy and the demands of life can become wearing leading to symptoms of stress such as increasing fatigue, low mood, sleep disturbance and anxiety.
I offer one to one or small group gentle restorative yoga teaching and also yin yoga sessions for deep release stretching. These kinds of practices can be very beneficial if you lead a hectic life and have trouble slowing your pace or winding down. Similarly these relaxing yet deep forms of practice can help promote clarity of thought, better quality of sleep and enhance mood and general well being.
Recorded relaxations. For a small charge, I can also provide you with a personalised recorded relaxation practice, sent to your mobile phone so you can use it anywhere!
Yoga For Tired People and Sleep Support
As a yoga therapist I can work with you to explore your sleep problems and identify suitable 'sleep supporting' practices. Join me for a short course of individual work and we can work together on finding restful sleep. Alternatively, take a look at my workshops page to find details of my latest workshops.
Please contact me for details if any of the above are of interest to you.
☏ 0771 887 5614
Availability and booking sessions
For further details please contact me for an initial discussion.
Call: 0771 8875614