I am a yoga therapist having completed my in depth training with The Minded Institute . I am a member of the Minded team both lecturing and supervising new students.
I am able to work with individuals, online or in my home yoga room in Grantham, at The Jasmine Trust Yoga Centre in Retford, or possibly at your home.
What is Yoga Therapy?
Essentially, yoga therapy is the application of specific yoga practices to alleviate physical and mental health conditions with the aim of promoting self-care and supporting overall well-being. Work is informed by:
- Anatomical, physiological and neuroscientific knowledge
- Psychotherapeutic principles
- Yoga philosophy
How Yoga Therapy Differs from Yoga
- Yoga in general aims to cultivate harmony of the body and mind and hence has the potential for therapeutic effects
- Yoga therapy uses specific yoga practices and their known benefits to help alleviate or improve mental and physical ailments and broaden the clients understanding of the situation
- Yoga therapy is becoming increasingly popular with many doctors and mental health practitioners now supporting it as an intervention as the growing body of research highlighting yoga’s multi-tiered benefits.
How is Yoga Therapy Used?
Yoga therapy aligns the unique and precise health needs of the client with yoga practices which the yoga tradition and also medical science find to have particular curative effects. The yoga therapist is able to work in a precise and ‘in the moment’ way with each individual client, offering personalised interventions.
Example 1 – with lower back pain, there are very specific yoga positions and postures which can strengthen and support the back and help soothe and address the symptoms of a herniated disc.
Example 2 – with cancer – individualised practices can be gentle to alleviate side effects of treatment, promote relaxation, improve sleep and support pain relief … or strengthening if appropriate post cancer and pre or post-surgery
Example 3 – in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), there are gentle, specialised ways of regulating the nervous system and fostering the return of an awareness of the body.
What will a yoga therapy session with me include?
- 60 – 90 minute one to one work – in person or online via Zoom
- Initial information gathering and assessment of your individual needs – possibly breathing, range of motion and postural assessments
Any of the following:
- Breathing techniques
- Postures – yoga/somatics/ movement enquiry
- Meditation /mindfulness
- Relaxation techniques/ Yoga Nidra
- Lifestyle discussion
- Education and information sharing
These are just some of the conditions for which i can offer Yoga Therapy :
- Cancer – side effects management, pre or post-surgery support
- Back Pain and musculoskeletal problems
- High Blood Pressure
- Asthma and COPD
- IBS and digestive issues
Yoga Therapy Sessions
Availability and booking sessions
For further details please contact me for an initial discussion.
Call: 0771 8875614